Monday, May 6th, 2013
A Parisian-trained baker, an open-source software entrepreneur, a dentist who’s volunteered her services in rural Kenya and the builder behind the largest office tower constructed in downtown Ottawa in more than 25 years are among this year’s Forty Under 40 recipients.
The annual awards program recognizes accomplished industry leaders who are under the age of 40 and also give back to their community. The awards are co-hosted by Ottawa Business Journal and the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce.
“The depth and innovation that the applicants represent demonstrates that Ottawa has a great future ahead of itself,” said Ian Faris, the chamber of commerce’s CEO and one of the judges who selected the recipients.
“These are the new economic trailblazers in Ottawa who show that there is ample opportunity to foster talent and innovation for the next generation of young entrepreneurs.”
The committee also included University of Ottawa Telfer EMBA director Sophia Leong, Cellwand Communications CEO Nick Quain, OBJ editor Peter Kovessy and OBJpublisher Michael Curran, who chaired the process.
The judges collectively spent approximately 100 hours reviewing and ranking each of the submissions.
More than 150 individuals were nominated this year, the highest number ever submitted.
All nominations were assessed according to a 40-point system: 20 points for business achievements, 10 points for expertise and 10 points for community involvement.
“It is a very cool process to go through all of these nominations,” said Mr. Quain.
“In the end we were left with 40 pretty amazing stories.”
All the recipients are invited to meet one another at a Telfer event May 29, starting at 2 p.m., to share their business experiences and network at a wine and cheese reception from 4 to 6 p.m.
The recipients will also be feted June 20 from 5:30 to 10 p.m. at The Hilton Lac-Leamy. The gala supports the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health through a charitable draw that includes fabulous prizes.
Forty Under 40 recipients will also be profiled in OBJ’s June 17 newspaper.
- Moe Abbas, Ottawa General Contractors
- Saad Bashir, City of Ottawa
- Tracy Billows, Moksha Yoga Ottawa/Stittsville
- Hugues Boisvert, HazloLaw
- Patricia Calder, Claigan
- Lynda Carter, Deloitte LLP
- Mylène Chaumont, Sentinelle Health Group
- Moodie Cheikh, Searidge Technologies
- Julia Chen, AM&M
- David Coletto, Abacus Data
- John Craig, Purple Forge
- Anil Dilawri, Save It Like Sully
- Brad Dyment, Health Wave
- Sheridan Ethier, QNX Software Systems
- Tyler Eyamie, Fusebill
- Alex Gorbachev, Pythian
- Derek Howe, Broccolini Construction
- Mike Kelland, Tindr Solutions
- Elizabeth Lance, InGenuity Group Solutions
- Tara Lapointe, Canada Council for the Arts
- Jocelyn Legault, Maplesoft Group
- Kevin Mathieson, Art Is In Bakery
- Brent Mondoux, N-VisionIT Interactive
- Charla O’Connor, The Usher Group
- Peter Paciorek, Alliance Engineering & Construction
- Marie-Andrée Pelletier, Construction JPL
- Dr. Chantal Plant, Blackburn Shoppes Dental Centre
- Brian Pratt, Balkon
- Luc Richard, Dual Code
- Matthew Sachs, Urbandale Construction
- Alifiya Sadikali, Dermis Advanced Skin Care
- Manu Sharma, OAK Computing
- Janice Siddons, TUC Managed IT Solutions
- Kathy Smart, Live the Smart Way
- Christopher Smith, OPIN Software
- Richard St-Jacques, Rimikon
- Ben Stewart, Canadian Property Stars
- Brett Tackaberry, bv02
- Daniel Weinand, Shopify
- Rodney Wilts, Windmill Developments
Ottawa Business Journal. http://www.obj.ca/Local/2013-05-06/article-3232918/Forty-Under-40-recipients-reveal-Ottawa